CPHIA Side event: Harnessing the strength of collaboration: Lessons learnt from the COVID-19 Pandemic – A focus on low- and middle-income countries
The COVID-19 Clinical Research Coalition invites you to mark your calendar for an official side event on the eve of the Second International Conference on Public Health in Africa (CPHIA2) in Kigali, entitled “Harnessing the strength of collaboration: Lessons Learnt from the COVID-19 Pandemic – A focus on low- and middle-income countries”
The event, to be held at the Kigali Conference Centre in Auditorium 12 on 12 Dec. 2022 from 12:00-14:00 (CAT) and moderated by Dr Nathalie Strub-Wourgaft (Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative, Switzerland), will include the following talks by Coalition members:
- Driving collaborative research during global pandemics: the major challenges and proposed solutions for LMICs – Dr Amina Haouala (COVID-19 Clinical Research Coalition)
- Establishing interregional and global partnerships, an ethical perspective on the good, the bad and the ugly – Prof. Caesar Atuire (University of Oxford, UK/University of Ghana)
- Streamlining disease surveillance across Africa by building biobanking and sequencing capacity – the role of partnerships – Dr Wilber Sabiiti (University of St Andrews, UK)
- The importance of context-specific prevention and control – an assessment of strategies like lockdown on communities, and initial evidence from a global systematic review on impact of lockdown on early pregnancy – Dr Lauren Hookham (MUJHU Research Collaboration, Uganda/St. George’s University, UK)
- Interdisciplinary methods – bringing together epidemiology and social science approaches in pandemic research – Dr Luisa Enria (London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, UK)
- Priorities for Africa: Focus areas as we pivot to pandemic preparedness – Dr Brenda Okware (COVID-19 Clinical Research Coalition)
The Coalition’s side event and CPHIA2 will both be accessible online, for those who cannot travel to Kigali. Please note:
- If you plan to attend the Coalition side event, you MUST be registered for CPHIA 2022. You can find all registration details here.
- There will be an option to register on-site for one day only if you wish to attend a side event but not the full conference.